Most of us don’t give the purchase of a thermostat much more than a second thought, however there is a large range of features and performance that you will need to consider to select the best smart home thermostat. If something goes wrong with our existing thermostat our initial thought is to replace it with something similar, but that may not be the right decision – especially not today. Smart home thermostats are becoming increasingly more common and there’s good reason for that. They give you a lot more control over the climate inside your home and they can make your family a lot more comfortable. Don’t just rush out and buy the first one you come across though – take your time and do your homework. We’ve put together some reviews of the best smart thermostats available on the market today and if you take some time to look around we’re sure you’ll find the right choice for your family’s comfort.
The Key Advantages of the Best Smart Thermostats:
THE PERFECT TEMPERATURE
One serious advantage that smart thermostats have over traditional thermostats is that you can truly come close to achieving the perfect temperature in your home. Conventional thermostats can simply be set to a temperature that’s controlled by the temperature at the base unit itself. It might be the 72° you’re looking for in the room the thermostats in, but a chili 68° in the bedrooms on your main floor. The best Smart home thermostats also include sensors that you can use in other rooms so that you achieve that perfect temperature in each room of your home.
Another thing you can use a smart home thermostat for is to make changes to the temperature settings in your home even when you’re not at home. These thermostats are Wi-Fi enabled so as long as you allow them access to your home network you can communicate with them over apps from your smart phone. That means if you want to remotely turn down the temperature while you’re not at home you can do that and then you can turn it up again when you’re getting ready to leave the office.
The other great thing about having remote control is that even if you forget to turn down the temperature you can do it later on from a remote location and save money on your energy bill. Smart home thermostats also have built-in programmable features that allow you to automatically set different temperatures for different times of the day, night, or specific day of the week. With that much control over your homes internal climate the energy savings can be quite significant which means more money in your pocket.
How to Choose the Best Smart Thermostat for Your Home:
Even if the first time you heard about smart home thermostats was when you stumbled across this site you still have a lot to choose from. There are many different thermostats that can be classified in this category and they all have some various advantages and disadvantages which you may want to consider when making your decision. Here are some of the key items you should keep in mind before becoming part of the smart home thermostat community:
- Includes the Essential Features: At the very least your new smart home thermostat should include the following list of items.
- Temperature Scheduler: This is a key feature as it allows you to set your temperature controls for every day of the week based on what you know of your family’s activities.
- Remote Control: The ability to control your smart thermostat remotely through Wi-Fi is another essential feature of the smart thermostat which is designed to give you as much control over the internal climate of your home as possible.
- Android and IOS Apps: It’s not unusual for there to be family members in the home with both Android and IOS phones. It’s best to look for a thermostat that supports both.
- Room Sensors: To truly take advantage of the energy-saving potential of a smart home thermostat you should be looking for one that lets you use different room sensors to refine your controls over the homes temperature.
- Alexa Voice Control: While you can probably live without it the idea of having a smart home thermostat that can be controlled using voice controls such as the Alexa service or Siri is a nice feature and you can find this capability on some of the higher-end models.
- Ability to Learn Your Families Habits: Smart home thermostat technology is advancing rapidly and there are actually some with the capability to learn your family’s habits over time and make subtle adjustments to the in-home temperature without you having to lift a finger.
- Extreme Temperature Alerts: Another great feature you’ll find on some smart thermostats is the ability to send you, through email, extreme temperature alerts if something seems out of the ordinary when you’re not home. If the system detects a temperature range that may have negative consequences you can be notified immediately.
- Access the Local Weather: A few smart thermostats utilize your Wi-Fi connection to provide you with a seven day forecast from within the thermostat itself. This is certainly not essential, but it’s a nice little feature to have so that you can see what the week holds in store.
- Testing & Security – Any time you purchase a new technology gadget you should always take the time to test out all of its features and make sure everything’s working as soon as possible. You don’t want to wait until that 30 day trial period is ended to find out that you’re new smart home thermostat simply won’t connect to your Wi-Fi. Test all of its major features in the first couple of days and make sure to take advantage of any password features during set up so that you can have greater control over your homes temperature and not have to worry about family members undermining you.
- What Are Your Biggest Needs?
- Is the need to set up a weekly climate schedule important to you? Chances are it is and for most of us this will be one of our biggest needs when considering how effective a smart home thermostat is. If a thermostat you’re considering doesn’t give you the option of setting up a temperature schedule it’s probably not the one for you.
- Perhaps the main reason you like the idea of a smart home thermostat is having the capability of controlling your thermostat no matter where you are in the world. There are many smart home thermostats that give you that type of capability these days so just make sure to read the fine print.
- Do you want to have full control over the temperature settings in your home? If you answered this question in the affirmative then you’ll also want to make sure that you find a smart home thermostat that has built in security features that allow you to password protect the unit from tampering.
|Feature||Venstar Wi-Fi ColorTouch||Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat||Nest 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat||Honeywell 7 Day Programmable||Ecobee 3 Thermostat||Emerson’s Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat|
|CLICK Here for best price||CLICK Here for best price||CLICK Here for best price||CLICK Here for best price||CLICK Here for best price||CLICK Here for best price|
|Read Full Review||Read Here||Read Here||Read Here||Read Here||Read Here||Read Here|
BEST SMART THERMOSTAT BRIEF REVIEWS
Venstar Wi-Fi ColorTouch Thermostat
The Venstar Wi-Fi ColorTouch thermostat (T7900) has to make the list of best Smart home thermostats because it’s full of great features that can help to make your home a very pleasant and comfortable place. Not only does it have the weekly temperature scheduler that you’ll find on many smart thermostats, it also has built in security features that let you really take control of who’s moving those thermostat temperatures. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have any motion sensor technology so it can’t detect when you are in any particular room and make adjustments accordingly. Other than that though it has all the features you’re looking for in a smart home thermostat including remote access through an app and the ability to make adjustments anywhere in the world. It is without a doubt one of the better smart home thermostats on the market to choose from. Click here if you want to see our full Venstar Wi-Fi ColorTouch Thermostat review of this product, or if you prefer head on over to Amazon if you’re ready to make a purchase now.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
Honeywell is a well-known name in the thermostat marketplace and the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is a decent option, although it doesn’t have some of the key features you’ll find in some of the higher-end models such as the Nest or Ecobee 3. There’s no way to control the temperature in separate rooms individually and it does have to be hardwired to your home which is not ideal for all families. On the positive side it does have a Wi-Fi connection and that connection allows you to access your thermostat remotely and make adjustments when you’re not at home. You can also control the thermostat using your voice alone as it is compatible with Alexa. If you want to find out more about this thermostat check out the full Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat review here or take a look at the current price over on Amazon.
Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd-Generation
There’s always one competitor in any industry that has to be considered the big boy on the block and the Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd-Generation has made a clear case that they’re exactly that. This is one of the most user friendly and intuitive thermostats ever created. It comes equipped with all of the modern features you’d expect in a smart thermostat such as Alexa voice control,it’s Wi-Fi enabled with a remote app, it can actually learn your habits and make adjustments based on them, it uses motion sensor technology to control temperatures in individual rooms, and it allows you to set a seven day schedule. It’s temperature controls are extremely accurate and if you want to read the full Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation review or if you’ve already been leaning towards this Cadillac of Smart thermostats you may want to check out the pricing over at Amazon now.
Honeywell Wi-Fi 7 Day Programmable Thermostat
Not everyone is looking for a ton of bells and whistles and if that describes you then you may want to give strong consideration to the Honeywell Wi-Fi 7 Day Programmable Thermostat. This is a serviceable thermostat that offers you many of the features you’re looking for in a smart home thermostat without all of the extra bells and whistles. It has an old-fashioned green LED screen, but it is Wi-Fi enabled and you can program it for every day of the week. There’s no fancy color touchscreen and you can’t control it with your voice using Alexa – other than that it does a great job and you can still use it to save yourself a lot of money over a traditional home thermostat. If this sounds like a thermostat that’s more your speed check out our full Honeywell Wi-Fi 7 Day Programmable Thermostat review and when you’re ready head on over to Amazon to check out the latest prices.
Ecobee 3 Thermostat
If the Nest has one serious competitor then that would have to be the Ecobee 3 Thermostat which has many of the same features. This thermostat not only learns your own behavior it also compares data both inside your home and outside your home to determine the right temperature at any given time or time of year. It has easy intuitive controls and it’s fully Wi-Fi compatible for remote connection controls. You can also customize your schedules and set up several different ones depending on whether you’re on vacation or not and it can be controlled using only your voice when you’re at home via Alexa. The only reason that the Nest thermostat gets a bit of an edge over the Ecobee 3 is because its touchscreen is far more responsive and reliable. Customer complaints about the unresponsive touchscreen on the Ecobee 3 are well-known. You can read the full Ecobee 3 Thermostat Review and check out pricing over on Amazon by clicking on this link.
Emerson’s Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat
The reason that the Emerson’s Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat makes this list of best Smart home thermostats is because of its excellent app. It’s no exaggeration to say that this thermostat has one of the best remote control apps in the entire industry. It doesn’t have remote sensors, it can’t learn based on your daily behavior, and it has a basic LED screen, but it is Wi-Fi enabled and the app makes up for a lot of what it’s missing. It’s very user friendly and it allows you detailed control over your thermostat. It has also got a much lighter price tag than the Nest or Ecobee 3 which is another reason that you may find this particular model attractive. You can see the full Emerson’s Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat review and check prices it out on Amazon here.